1 / 1 Picture by:
Apricot and date fruit loaf
- ½ cup All-Bran
- ⅓ cup toasted whole almond kernels
- 1 cup self-raising flour
- ½ cup self-raising wholemeal flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 60 g mono- or polyunsaturated margarine, melted
- 140g apple puree (see ‘tip’)
- ⅓ cup skim milk
- ¾ cup chopped dried apricots
- ½ cup chopped dates
- ½ cup chopped prunes
Preparation:25min › Cook:1hour10min › Ready in:1hour35min
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and grease and line a 19- x 9-cm (base measurement) loaf pan.
- Place All-Bran and almonds into the bowl of a small food processor and process until fine crumbs.
- Sift flours and spices into a large bowl, return husks and stir in almond mix and sugar. Whisk together the eggs, margarine, apple puree and milk and then add this to the flour mix and combine. Stir in dried fruit.
- Spoon into the loaf pan and smooth top.
- Bake for 1 hour 10 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean. (Cover the cake after about 50 minutes cooking if it starts to darken too much.) Leave in pan for 5 minutes and then turn out and cool on a wire rack.
Apple puree tubs or tins are found in the canned fruit section in the supermarket.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!