1 / 1 Picture by:
- 2 1/2 cups (450g) caster sugar
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1/2 cup (125ml) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 1/2 tablespoons (30g) unsalted butter or margarine
- 6 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
Preparation:5min › Cook:30min › Extra time:4hours setting › Ready in:4hours35min
- Place all of the ingredients in a large saucepan and bring to the boil over medium heat, stirring constantly to stop the mixture sticking to the saucepan.
- Lower the temperature and allow the mixture to not simmer but boil at a lower temperature; continue stirring in a circular motion.
- Keep stirring for 20 minutes and eventually the mixture should turn a dark caramel colour and about double its original thickness. Do not be alarmed at the brown streaks, that is just the brown sugar doing its magic!
- Remove from the heat and mix with an electric hand mixer for about 7 minutes or so until it has thickened a fair bit and is beginning to set on the sides of the saucepan, but don’t mix it so much that it gets very tough.
- Pour into a cake tin or small baking tray, smooth out, and after 10 minutes score into squares with a small knife so it is easy to break when it has fully set after about 4 hours.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!