Ultimate Ginger Biscuits
- 185g butter
- 250g soft brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/3 cup treacle
- 2 cups plain flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons bicarb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger
- 50g finely chopped crystallised ginger
Preparation:15min › Cook:10min › Ready in:25min
- Beat butter and brown sugar in a small bowl with an electric mixer until smooth and creamy. Beat in the egg and treacle. Combine the flour, ground ginger, bicarb soda and salt and stir into the butter mixture. Add the fresh and crystallised gingers, cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Shape dough into 2.5cm balls and place 5cm apart on ungreased baking trays.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
Loved the taste, but the biscuits come out like gingerbread (ie not crisp). Is this "just the way they are" or am I doing something obviously wrong.I've tried baking them for longer & at a higher temperature but there seems little real impact (the upside is that they seem very "forgiving"!) - 26 Jan 2011
I must admit that the second time I made this recipe was for a friend who simply loves Ginger flavoured anything. So I tweaked this recipe. I didn't have Treacle so used Golden Syrup. I didn't have fresh ginger to grated so I added double the crystallized ginger, also a cup of chopped Pecans. This friend also has a cholesterol problem, so I used Extra Virgin Olive Oil as the shortening. They turn out absolutely delicious. So I had to rename the recipe because it was no long triple ginger, it's now Lyn Best Ginger Biscuits. But thanks for the foundation recipe which got me started. - 21 Sep 2012
These are the best ginger nuts I have ever tasted! They disappeared quickly. I added a little milk to the dough as I found it a little dry. - 24 Jul 2009