1 / 1 Picture by: The Purple Baker
Irish Wheat Bread
- 1 1/4 cups bakers flour
- 3 1/4 cups wholemeal plain flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1/4 teaspoons bicarb soda
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 60g butter, softened
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk, extra
- 1 teaspoon white sugar, extra
Preparation:20min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour20min
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Grease a shallow baking pan.
- Sift together the bakers flour, wholemeal flour, salt, bicarb soda and sugar in a bowl. Rub the butter into the flour mixture until combined. Make a well in the centre and pour in the combined oil and buttermilk. Stir to make a soft dough.
- Lightly knead the dough on a floured surface for 1 minute. Place the dough into the prepared pan and pat into a round loaf. Cut a cross into the top of the loaf, brush with the extra buttermilk and sprinkle with the extra sugar.
- Bake for 30 minutes. Reduce heat to 180 degrees C; rotate pan and bake another 30 minutes.
- Allow loaf to cool on a wire rack before slicing.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!