1 / 1 Picture by: Allrecipes
Spaetzle and Sauerkraut
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 5 cups plain flour
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 8 large eggs, beaten lightly
- 1 cup water
- 440g can sauerkraut
- 50g butter
- 1/3 cup day old bread crumbs
Preparation:10min › Cook:15min › Ready in:25min
- Fill a large saucepan with water, add oil and bring to the boil.
- Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and make a well in the middle. Add the combined salt, eggs and water and beat until the mixture is smooth and bubbly. The dough should have a thick consistency. Fill a spaetzle press with the dough and squeeze into the boiling water (You can use a colander to push the dough through).
- Cook until the spaetzle float to the surface and then drain. Place half of the spaetzle in a large ceramic serving dish and cover with a layer of sauerkraut. Add another layer of spaetzle and sauerkraut. Cover the pan to keep the dish warm.
- In a separate pan melt the butter and add breadcrumbs just long enough to moisten them. Sprinkle the breadcrumbs over the spaetzle and serve,
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!