Chicken Fricassee from Puerto Rico
- 500g chicken drumsticks
- 1 tablespoon adobo seasoning*
- 15g packet sazon seasoning*
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 5 large desiree potatoes, peeled, thickly sliced
- 1 large red capsicum, chopped
- 1 large green capsicum, chopped
- 1 large brown onion, chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 fresh or dried bay leaves
Preparation:40min › Cook:7hours › Ready in:7hours40min
- Wash the chicken, pat dry and place in a large bowl. Season with adobo seasoning, sazon seasoning, and salt. Place the chicken in a slow cooker and cover with the sliced potatoes.
- Puree the capsicums, onion, garlic, coriander, olive oil, wine, cumin, and oregano in a blender. Pour over the chicken and add the bay leaves.
- Cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours or until the chicken is easily removed from the bone.
*Adobo and sazon seasoning can be replaced with peri peri seasoning or a tortilla seasoning mix adding some crushed dried red chillies to spice up the flavour.
This was a popular dish with the whole family. I tried it first with Taco seasoning and it was really tasty. Husband and kids all gave it the thumbs up. Then I found recipes for Sazon and Adobo seasonings (beware, there are differing recipes for both, I decided the most complex had to be the most authentic) and made those to use. It was slightly different but a very tasty meal which ever way you make it! It will be a regular dish for the family. - 21 Oct 2010
I would have prefered if i had left out the red wine and added chicken stock instead. Red wine tastes awful in this dish. - 07 Nov 2010