1 / 1 Picture by: spookylean
Three Mushroom Steak Pie
Serves : 6
- For filling
- 750g steak, cut into small cubes
- salt and freshly cracked pepper to taste
- 75g flour
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 medium onion, finely diced
- 250g crimini button mushrooms
- 125g portobello mushrooms, stem trimmed, halved and sliced
- 125g oyster mushrooms, stems trimmed and sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 250ml beef stock
- 60ml red wine
- 1 teaspoon of fresh thyme or 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 2 sheets of premade puff pastry (to fit a 23cm pie tin)
- For egg wash
- 1 egg mixed with 2 tablespoons milk
Preparation:25min › Cook:45min › Ready in:1hour10min
- Season the steak with salt and pepper. Coat in flour, shaking off excess. Reserve leftover flour.
- Heat the oil in a large frying pan over medium to high heat. Cook beef until nicely browned, then set aside. Add onion and mushrooms; cook, stirring until mushrooms are tender and liquid from them has evaporated. Stir in garlic and reserved flour. Cook for 2 minutes, stirring well.
- Slowly add the stock constantly mixing to ensure you don’t get lumps of cooked flour. Add wine, thyme and steak and simmer for 5 mins. Season with salt and pepper; remove from heat, cool to room temperature and refrigerate until well chilled.
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees C .
- Place one sheet of pastry in the bottom of a 23cm pie dish. Fill with beef and mushroom mixture before topping with second layer of pastry.
- Brush edges with egg wash and crimp to seal. Brush the top of the pie with egg wash. Cut a small hole in centre of pie to allow steam to escape.
- Bake for 20 mins. Reduce the heat to 180 degrees C and cook for a further 25 minutes.
- Allow the pie to cool for 10 mins before serving.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!