1 / 1 Picture by: Allrecipes
Donair (Canadian Kebab)
- 750g beef mince
- 1/3 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- 1 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2/3 cup (150ml) nonfat evaporated milk
- 2/3 cup (155g) sugar
- 1/3 cup (100ml) vinegar
- 3 Lebanese breads, halved
- 3 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
Preparation:20min › Cook:3hours50min › Ready in:4hours10min
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees C.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the mince, breadcrumbs, cayenne pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, ground black pepper and salt. Press into a 20cm x20cm square baking dish or casserole dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 2 hours until cooked through. Set aside to cool for at least 1/2 hour. The meat will slice even better if it is actually chilled completely.
- To make the sauce, combine the evaporated milk, sugar and vinegar in a jar with a lid, and shake well to blend. Set aside to thicken.
- Heat a large frypan over medium-high heat. Slice thin slices of the meatloaf. Fry the slices briefly in the hot frypan until browned on each side. Remove from the pan, and keep warm.
- Flick a little water onto the hot frypan and brown the Lebanese breads a little on each side to soften.
- Load up one side of the bread with meat slices, tomatoes and onion. Spoon sauce over the filling, and fold pitas in half, then towards the centre. Voila, you're eating!
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!