Black Forest Chocolate Cheesecake with Ginger Nut Base
- 200g packet ginger nut biscuits
- 60g melted butter
- 500g light or low fat cream cheese, at room temperature
- 300 ml thickened cream
- 1 cup (220g) caster sugar
- 250g cooking chocolate
- 1/2 cup (125ml) Baileys Irish Cream
- 3 tablespoons (20g) gelatine powder, divided
- 5 tablespoons hot water
- 400 g tin of stoneless black cherries in syrup
Preparation:30min › Cook:3hours › Extra time:3hours setting › Ready in:6hours30min
- To make the base, crush biscuits in blender, or with rolling pin in plastic bag. Mix with butter and press mixture into base of round springform tin. Put in refrigerator to set.
- In large bowl, use a hand beater to mix cream cheese, cream and sugar until creamy. Dissolve 2 tablespoons of gelatine in 3 tablespoons of hot water and beat into the cream cheese mixture.
- Melt chocolate in microwave, beat this into cream cheese mixture. Stir through the Baileys until all combined. Pour mixture onto biscuit base and put in refrigerator to set, about 3 hours.
- Melt the last tablespoon of gelatine in 2 tablespoons of hot water. Combine this with the cherries (including the syrup) mixing well. Put this mixture in the refrigerator until slightly thick -but not set. Spread on top of semi-set cheesecake and put back the cheesecake back in the fridge to set completely.
- Before serving, wet a tea towel in hot water and wring out. Place towel around the outside of tin for 30 seconds before releasing the spring and removing cheesecake. Serve with whipped cream on the side.
Tried this, the main cheesecake mix was very good, but the suggestion to use cherries and gelatine was gross. I followed the recipe step by step and my black forest topping failed, and had no back up berries to put on top, so ended up changing this to a caramel topping with chocolate decorations. Ginger nut base is nice, but i don't think it works for black forest type desserts. Better off using a chocolate biscuit base. I had no baileys so instead used amarula and this worked out fine. - 01 Jun 2013