Great Quiche Lorraine
- 1 recipe short crust pastry for a 23cm single crust pie shell
- 6 slices bacon
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups grated Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
Preparation:30min › Cook:35min › Ready in:1hour5min
- Preheat oven to 230 degrees C. Line pastry shell with foil and some beans or rice as a loading. Bake in preheated oven for 8 minutes. Remove foil and bake for an additional 5 minutes or until crust is set and dry. Remove from oven and turn down temperature to 170 degrees C.
- In a large frying pan, cook bacon until crisp. Drain and reserve 2 tablespoons of drippings. Crumble the bacon and set aside. Cook onion in pan in the bacon fat until onion is tender. Remove and set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together milk, salt and eggs. Stir in bacon and onion. In a separate bowl, toss cheese and flour together, then add to egg mixture. Be sure to mix well. Pour egg mixture into pie crust.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until knife inserted in centre of the quiche comes out clean. If necessary, cover edge of crust with foil while baking to prevent burning or overbrowning. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
Used different ingredients. Substituted milk for thick cream. Used layers of filo pastry on base. Sprinkled chopped shallots and sprinkled on top. - 14 May 2011
I make this all the time! I divide the mixture up into smaller pans and freeze them for quick meals for two. The last time I made it, I added tomato and capsicum. - 03 Jul 2010
Excellent recipe. Quick & easy & tasty. I added sundried Toms and it was great. Thank you for a great recipe. - 21 Jun 2012