Nutmeg Apple Pie
Serves : 8
- 1 1/4 cups plain flour
- 3/4 cup self raising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon white sugar
- 250g unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- lemon juice for sprinkling over apples
- 5 large Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 egg, beaten
Preparation:1hour15min › Cook:45min › Ready in:2hours
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 23cm pie dish.
- Pastry: In a large bowl, combine flours, salt and sugar. Rub or cut in butter until coarse crumbs are formed.
- Mix in sour cream and lemon juice. Keep mixing until dough forms a ball, (dough may be slightly lumpy), this is fine.
- Wrap dough ball in plastic wrap and allow to chill for 1 hour.
- Once chilled, take dough out of refrigerator and cut it in half; keep one half covered and in the refrigerator. Roll dough to 3mm thickness. To lift pastry onto pie dish, roll dough around rolling pin and then unroll into pie dish. Trim overhanging edges of pie base.
- Filling: Place apples into pie shell. In a small bowl, combine sugar, flour and nutmeg. Mix together thoroughly. Sprinkle mixture over apples. Sprinkle some lemon juice over apples. Place pie in refrigerator while the top pastry is rolled out.
- Remove pie from refrigerator. Brush outer edge of bottom pastry with beaten egg. Place second crust on top of pie and crimp pie shell edges together. Brush entire top crust with egg and cut 4 steam slots into it.
- Bake in a preheated oven for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow pie to completely cool before serving. Serve warm with whipped cream or vanilla ice cream.
Something else. Too much liquid in the pie on completion made a mess everywhere. Definately recommend cooking the apples on stove beforehand to drain off apple juice. Great flavour. I also added rhubarb! - 19 Jul 2009
Yummy! Followed it exactly, just need to work on my presentation skills! lol (I need A LOT of practice with pastry) Thank your Mum for me it was delicious and I will certainly make this again. - 09 May 2010