Chocolate and Zucchini Cupcakes
- 60g dark chocolate, melted and cooled
- 3 eggs
- 1 3/4 cups brown sugar
- 1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
- 2 cups (250g) plain flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- icing and walnut halves
Preparation:20min › Cook:20min › Ready in:40min
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs with sugar for about 5 minutes or until thickened and pale. Blend oil and melted chocolate into the beaten egg mixture.
- In a small bowl stir together flour, baking powder, bicarb soda and salt. Stir into egg mixture until just blended. Stir in zucchini and chopped nuts.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, spoon mixture into 24 medium size paper-lined or greased muffin cups, filling the cups 2/3 full.
- Bake in preheated oven for 20 minutes or until skewer inserted in a cupcake's centre comes out clean.
- Let cool in the tins on rack for 10 minutes. Remove from pans and allow to cool completely. Ice with chocolate or vanilla icing and garnish with walnut or pecan halves.
I cut the oil down to 3/4 cup based on previous review. These cakes were moist without being heavy and had a great texture. The walnuts really made them special. Definitely need the chocolate icing - 12 Feb 2013
For some reason, mine ended up with a faint "fishy" aroma and taste. Not sure if it was the zucchini or the oil. I found these a bit too oily for my taste. - 15 May 2010