Pineapple Upside-Down Cake
Serves : 24
- 1 tin (425g or similar weight) crushed pineapple
- 60g butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups (250g) brown sugar
- 3 1/4 cups (310g) plain flour
- 5 teaspoons baking powder
- 250g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups (315g) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla essence
Preparation:20min › Cook:40min › Ready in:1hour
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease a 20-23cmx30cm baking pan.
- Drain crushed pineapple and reserve juice. Combine melted butter, brown sugar, pineapple and 2 tablespoons pineapple juice together in a bowl.
- Spread onto the base of the greased baking pan.
- Add enough water to remaining pineapple juice to make 300ml (1 1/4 cups) of liquid. Set aside.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Set aside.
- Cream butter and caster sugar together until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla essence. Beat for further minute.
- Add flour mixture alternately with reserved pineapple liquid, beginning and ending with the dry ingredients.
- Pour cake mixture into baking pan. Bake in preheated oven for 40 minutes or until skewer inserted in centre comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack to cool.
Altered ingredient amounts. Wonderful taste, and simplicity itself. We couldn't find a bakery that made Pineapple Upside-down Cake and this recipe was the best one we've tried. If you like too, add double the amount of brown sugar, butter and juice for the topping to really indulge yourself. - 18 Jul 2008
Altered ingredient amounts. Recipe was Great - like my mother's recipe.. All Six of my grandchildren loved it I altered a bit - Doubled brown sugar & butter/sliced pineapple and then Cooled for at least 30 minutes before turning out - - 18 Jul 2008
Something else. used sliced pineapple with cherries cut in half in centre of each pineapple. - 18 Jul 2008