Light Ricotta Cheesecake
- 1 kg ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup (155g) caster sugar
- 1/3 cup (60g) plain flour
- 6 eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons finely grated orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- a pinch of salt
Preparation:15min › Cook:1hour30min › Ready in:1hour45min
- Heat the oven to 150 degrees C. Set shelf in the middle of the oven. Butter and flour a 23cm springform cake tin.
- Place the ricotta in a large mixing bowl and stir until as smooth as possible with a palette knife.
- Stir the sugar and flour thoroughly into the ricotta. Stir in the eggs one at a time.
- Blend in the vanilla essence, cinnamon, orange zest and salt. Pour mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for about 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes until the cake is a light golden colour.
- Make sure the centre is fairly firm and the point of a sharp knife inserted in the centre comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack. It will sink slightly as it cools. Cover, and chill until serving time.
Used different ingredients. This is a great recipe. Lemons are better than oranges, 5 in stead of 6 eggs and watch not to overcook, 75min is good. The secret is the ricotta, avoid the cheap stuff for the best consistancy. I'm not much of a cook and this cake ALWAYS works. To decorate, use marmelade as a light glaze and top with strips of orange or lemon peel. (The cake is already nice and golden...) Enjoy - 18 Jul 2008
Something else. I added a biscuit base to this one. 200 grams biscuit crumbs, 150 grams melted butter and 50 grams of almond flakes. - 22 May 2010
Used different ingredients. After some modifications this is a 5-star recipe. (1) Use whole milk ricotta cheese, drained (To drain ricotta cheese, wrap in a double layer of muslin. Place in a colander and weigh down with a few tins. Allow to drain over a bowl in the refrigerator for 1 hour.); (2) Replace the the cinnamon, orange zest, vanilla extract and salt and add 5 tbsp of amaretto; (3) Use only 5 eggs; and, (4) I used a hand mixer instead of a spatula (much smoother!) - 18 Jul 2008