1 / 1 Picture by:
Classic Creme Brulee
- 1 vanilla bean, halved lengthwise
- 2 1/4 cups thickened cream
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 10 egg yolks
- 5 tablespoons caster sugar
- For crunchy topping
- 4 tablespoons caster sugar
Preparation:10min › Cook:1hour10min › Extra time:3hours chilling › Ready in:4hours20min
- Preheat oven to 140 degrees C.
- Scrape out seeds from both halves of the vanilla bean using the dull edge of a knife. In a saucepan combine the seeds, bean, cream and milk and heat gently over low heat until just bubbly. DO NOT BOIL.
- Combine egg yolks and 5 tablespoons caster sugar in a mixing bowl; mix well. Add the egg yolk and sugar mixture to the saucepan with the cream mixture and heat gently for another 5 to 8 minutes. Again, DO NOT BOIL as it will cause lumps to form.
- Pour the mixture evenly into 6 ramekins. Arrange the ramekins in a baking tin then fill the tin with cold water halfway up the sides of the ramekins. Bake in the preheated oven for 35 to 40 minutes.
- Once finished baking, remove ramekins from baking tin and allow to cool to room temperature. Place cooled ramekins into the fridge and leave to chill for 3 hours or more.
- When ready to serve, preheat grill. Top each ramekin with caster sugar, spreading evenly over the top of each. Place the ramekins under the grill for 2 to 3 minutes or until the sugar turns golden brown and is caramelised.
- Leave the crème brûlée to cool at room temperature for 2 minutes before serving.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!