Potato and Silverbeet Bake
- 4 to 5 potatoes, peeled and sliced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 60g butter
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 1/2 bunch silverbeet
- 1 leek, sliced into rings
- 200g trimmed green beans
- 1 head cauliflower, cut into florets
- For the cheese sauce
- 15g butter
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 250ml milk
- 200g mature Cheddar cheese, grated
Preparation:30min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour30min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Place half of the potatoes in a large baking dish. Sprinkle the chopped shallots over the top, along with the butter broken up into knobs. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Add the silverbeet, leek, green beans and cauliflower.
- To make the cheese sauce; heat the butter over medium heat in a medium sized pot. Add the flour and stir with the butter to combine well. Slowly add the milk to the pot, stirring constantly to ensure a smooth mixture. Reduce heat to low and add half of the cheese. Stir until cheese has melted, remove from heat and pour 3/4 of the mixture over the vegetables.
- Layer the remaining potatoes on top of the cheese sauce and vegetables. Cover with the remaining sauce. Sprinkle remaining cheese over top. Bake in the preheated oven for 1 hour, or until vegetables are tender and cheese is crisp.
Yes definitely needs the 90 minutes cooking (or pre-cooking potatoes might be better cos the the other veggies don't get overcooked) and more cheese sauce....then, fabulous! - 30 Jul 2010
Used different ingredients. I used zucchini and broccoli. Cook time was 1.5 hours. - 30 Apr 2010
Used different ingredients. Used a few differant vegies and cooked for one and half hours at 180 in fan forced oven. Great Dinner. - 30 Mar 2010