Baked ham with brown sugar and mustard glaze
- 1 whole leg of ham on the bone, uncooked
- 1 large bottle (750ml) dry cider, more if required
- 8 whole peppercorns
- 1 bay leaf
- 175g light brown soft sugar
- 3 tablespoons mustard powder
- whole cloves for studding ham
Preparation:8hours › Cook:3hours30min › Ready in:11hours30min
- Place ham in a large stockpot and cover with cider. Leave in a cold place to soak overnight.
- Heat the stockpot over medium high heat. Add the peppercorns and bay leaf and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes per 450g. Remove from heat.
- Preheat oven to 220 C. In a small bowl, mix together the sugar and mustard.
- Remove the leg from the stockpot, carefully peel off the skin and score diamond shapes into the fat with a sharp knife. Place the ham in a baking tray with a small amount of the cider to cover the bottom of the tin. Spread the sugar and mustard mixture over the fat on the ham. Press a clove into the corner of each diamond shape.
- Roast the ham in preheated oven for 20 to 30 minutes until the fat is crisp and golden. Remove and allow to cool before carving.
Disaster. Simmering for 30 mins per 405 gms resulted in the ham being cooked to death and most of the fat being rendered off - 24 Dec 2011
It is close to impossible to buy UNCOOKED hams in Australia. I have tried in 3 States. This is an American recipe and cannot be used for Aussie pre-cooked hams. Hence Shaw08's expensive disaster. Perhaps stud cloves and make a sauce with remaining ingredients and baste during heating through in oven for max. 35 minutes. Happy Holidays everyone! anne - 20 Dec 2012