1 person made this
That's right - you can make your very own ricotta cheese at home to enjoy on its own or use in your favourite Italian recipes! Watch this recipe being made in the Allrecipes Ricotta Cheese Video.
Makes: 800 ricotta cheese
1 teaspoon citric acid
3.75 litres full fat milk
2 teaspoons salt, optional
2 tablespoons double cream, optional
Extra time:1hour resting ›
- Mix citric acid in the water.
- Pour milk into a large saucepan. Over medium heat, heat the milk to 85 degrees C. Do not boil. Stir often to prevent scorching.
- Once at 85 degrees C, stir in the citric acid. Keep stirring until curds form.
- Line a colander or sieve with muslin. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the curds into the muslin. Fold muslin over top and let the liquid drain from the cheese for 20 to 30 minutes.
- Remove the cheese from the muslin and add salt and double cream, if desired. Stir well to combine.
- Serve straightaway or use in your favourite recipe. Store the ricotta in a covered airtight container in the fridge for 1 to 2 weeks.
Watch a video of it being made…
How to make ricotta cheese
Write a review
Click on stars to rate