1 / 1
2 people made this
When pumpkins are in season and super cheap a great way to use them is to make a pumpkin risotto.
6 cups (1 1/2 litres) chicken stock
3 tablespoons olive oil
3 onion shallots, finely diced
400g Arborio rice
450g butternut pumpkin, cubed
1 teaspoon dried thyme
salt and pepper, to taste
cayenne pepper, to taste
Parmesan cheese, to garnish
- Heat the chicken stock in a saucepan and keep warm.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a frypan, add the shallots and cook, stirring, until translucent but not browned. Add the rice and stir for a few minutes until it starts to smell nutty.
- Add 1 cup of stock to the rice and stir until liquid is absorbed. Add another cup of stock and stir until absorbed. Repeat until all stock is used.
- While the rice is cooking, toast the walnuts in a dry frypan. Chop and set aside.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon oil in a frypan with a lid, add pumpkin and thyme, mix well and cover. Let cook 15 minutes over medium-low, stirring occasionally. Season with salt, pepper and cayenne.
- When the rice is done, add the pumpkin and season if necessary.
- Serve the risotto topped with walnuts and Parmesan.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate