Homemade Cottage Pie
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 450g lean beef mince
- 1 large onion, finely diced
- 2 medium carrots, finely dieced
- leaves off 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 (400g) tin tomatoes
- 1-2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 290ml beef stock
- dash of Worcestershire sauce
- Mashed Potato Topping
- 1 kg potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
- 120ml low fat milk, as required
- salt and pepper, to taste
Preparation:15min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour15min
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan and over a low/medium heat add the mince, onion and carrot and stir until the beef is browned and the vegetables are softened.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme and stir through for a minute or so.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and stock, and cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Boil the prepared potatoes until soft. Drain and then mash them adding the butter and milk until you have a nice smooth, not too stiff, mix. Season to taste.
- Pour the mince mixture into a large casserole dish and cover with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Altered ingredient amounts. I subsituted sweet potatoes for regular potatoes/ - 13 Apr 2010
Fabulous recipe. I made extra to freeze but my kids and husband ate it all. They loved it! - 26 Aug 2010
loved it!!! - 20 Aug 2010