Homemade Cottage Pie
4 / 4
10 people made this
A great British recipe, this is a hearty dinner dish that is always a favourite with the the whole family and friends.
1 tablespoon olive oil
450g lean beef mince
1 large onion, finely diced
2 medium carrots, finely dieced
leaves off 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
2 bay leaves
1 (400g) tin tomatoes
1-2 tablespoons tomato paste
290ml beef stock
dash of Worcestershire sauce
Mashed Potato Topping
1 kg potatoes, peeled and roughly chopped
120ml low fat milk, as required
salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C
- Add olive oil to a large frying pan and over a low/medium heat add the mince, onion and carrot and stir until the beef is browned and the vegetables are softened.
- Add the bay leaves and thyme and stir through for a minute or so.
- Stir in the Worcestershire sauce, tomato paste, chopped tomatoes and stock, and cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Season to taste.
- Boil the prepared potatoes until soft. Drain and then mash them adding the butter and milk until you have a nice smooth, not too stiff, mix. Season to taste.
- Pour the mince mixture into a large casserole dish and cover with the mashed potatoes.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes or until golden brown.
Altered ingredient amounts.
I subsituted sweet potatoes for regular potatoes/
- 13 Apr 2010
Fabulous recipe. I made extra to freeze but my kids and husband ate it all. They loved it!
- 26 Aug 2010
- 20 Aug 2010
Write a review
Click on stars to rate