1 / 1 Picture by:
- 1 (4.5 kg, size 45) whole turkey
- melted butter, for brushing
- 250g butter
- 2 stalks celery, with leaves, diced
- 3/4 cup onion, finely chopped
- 14 slices bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
Preparation:15min › Cook:3hours › Ready in:3hours15min
- Melt 250g butter in a heavy saucepan. Cook the celery and onion until tender. Remove from the heat and toss mixture with the remaining stuffing ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 135 degrees C.
- Stuff the turkey just before roasting - don't do it ahead of time. To stuff it, fasten the neck skin to the back with a skewer or poultry pins. Fold the wings under the back. Fill the body cavity lightly with the stuffing - don't over stuff as the stuffing will expand while cooking. Tie the drumsticks together at the tip, under the tail.
- Place turkey, breast side up, on a rack in a roasting tin. Brush with melted butter.
- Roast, uncovered, for 2 1/2 - 3 hours. If you are using a meat thermometer, it's done when the thermometer reads 82 degrees C in the thickest part of the thigh. If not, check for doneness from 2 1/2 hours on by cutting into the centre of a thigh and seeing if the juices run clear. As you are cooking, cover the turkey with a tent of aluminium foil when it just begins to turn golden.
- When done, remove from oven and let stand 20 minutes before carving.
To make the stuffing:
To roast the turkey:
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!