Pork and Prawn Wontons
- 5 dried shiitake mushrooms, reconstituted in hot water and chopped
- 450g lean pork mince
- 400g prawns - peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 3 tablespoons dashi (dried fish flakes) (optional)
- wonton wrappers
Preparation:2hours › Cook:10min › Ready in:2hours10min
- Pass mushrooms and liquid through a sieve to collect mushrooms; discard liquid. Pat mushrooms dry with kitchen roll and chop.
- Place pork, prawns, mushrooms, spring onion, egg, soy sauce, salt and dashi (if using) together in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly until all ingredients are completely incorporated.
- Have a bowl of lukewarm water available for dipping. If you are right-handed, place wonton wrapper on your left palm. Place a small amount of filling (about a heaped teaspoon or more) near the lower corner of wonton wrapper. Fold that corner over filling and towards the opposite corner about half way, making sure the filling is securely enclosed.
- Dip finger into a bowl of water and dab left corner of wrapper with water. Fold left and right corners toward you (away from the top corner), resulting in the shape of an old-fashioned nurse's hat.
- Place wontons on baking trays while you work, keeping them covered with a damp tea towel to prevent drying out. Wontons may be carefully stored in plastic freezer bags and frozen for future use.
Used different ingredients. I changed this recipe somewhat, and they came out great. Just like my grandmother used to make. I omitted the dashi, since I couldn't find it, added 1 tbsp. rice wine (some other recipe suggested it), added 1 tsp. fresh ginger. I also omitted the egg, but I think the egg might help them stick together more. Its a very time consuming recipe to wrap them all. - 29 Sep 2008
The filling was great. I left out the prawn and fish flakes. With just the pork and seasonings these dumplings taste just like the ones my Chinese friends make. Delicious! - 29 Sep 2008
It did not turn out as i though it would, but it was ok. - 29 Sep 2008