Serves : 8
- 2 cups (250g) self raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 cup (70g) chopped dates
- 1 small egg, beaten
- 150ml milk
Preparation:10min › Cook:10min › Ready in:20min
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, salt and sugar into a large bowl.
- Rub in butter until mixture resembles breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the chopped dates.
- Combine the egg and milk in a jug. Stir into the flour mixture to make a soft sticky dough.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead for 30 seconds or until just smooth.
- Cut the dough into about 8 squares or rounds, brush tops with a little milk and place on a tray.
- Bake about 10-15 minutes or until golden.
I normally struggle with scones - these were great - 25 Feb 2011
the best date scones i have had to date! thanks for the great recipe had to add some flour though - 04 Dec 2010
Date scones are always my fave. This is a great mix although I had to add a bit more flour. - 31 Jul 2010