Chicken Noodle Soup with Thai Chilli Sauce
- 3 skinless, boneless chicken breast fillets
- 2 litres chicken stock
- 2 leeks, sliced
- 6 carrots, sliced
- 1 medium head cabbage, shredded
- 250g egg noodles
- Thai chilli sauce to taste
Preparation:10min › Cook:35min › Ready in:45min
- Place chicken breasts and stock in a large stockpot over medium heat and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 20 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove chicken from stock and set aside to cool.
- Add leeks and carrots to stock and simmer for 10 minutes, or until tender.
- Shred cooled chicken and return to pot. Add cabbage and egg noodles and cook for another 5 minutes, or until noodles are soft. The soup should be thick like a stew. Serve hot, seasoned to taste with Thai chilli sauce.
Used different ingredients. This didn't seem really Thai-ish to me except for the chilli sauce at the end. So I added a small stalk of lemon grass that I whacked with my rubber mallet to crush it a bit, and a few kaffir lime leaves to the stock while it simmered. I also added a teaspoon full of something called "Hot Spice Powder" which I picked up at our local asian market. The ingredient list is: white pepper, salt, spice; so I'm not really sure what all is in it, but it tasted good in the soup. Will definitely make it again. Oh, and I removed the lemon grass and lime leaves before serving. Thanks for the recipe! - 29 Sep 2008
Fantastic one pot recipe - easy, healthy, filling and looked great when served. There was no need for me to add any extra seasoning during the cooking process. Thai sweet chilli sauce complemented the dish perfectly. There was just enough flavour from the stock, leeks and from poaching the chicken in the soup base. Thanks for posting this recipe, Jessica. Definitely a dish I will make regularly. - 29 Sep 2008
Used different ingredients. Very good. Added a little carrot for colour/taste. The chilli sauce makes it. Will make again. - 29 Sep 2008