1 / 1 Picture by: Grazi
Spicy Apple and Tomato Chutney
- 1 kg apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 kg tomatoes, sliced
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 85g sultanas
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard seeds
- 140g sugar
- 450ml water
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 teaspoons salt
- 2 1/2 dessertspoons curry powder
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 560ml malt vinegar
Preparation:30min › Cook:3hours › Ready in:3hours30min
- Place apples and water in a large saucepan. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and cook 25 minutes, or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Add more water as necessary to keep the apples simmering.
- Wrap mustard seeds in muslin or cheesecloth and place with apples. Add onion, tomatoes, curry powder, cayenne pepper, salt, sugar, sultanas, garlic and vinegar in with the apples. Stir until sugar has dissolved.
- Bring the mixture to the boil. Reduce heat, and simmer 3 hours, stirring occasionally, until a thick chutney remains. Remove and discard wrapped mustard seed. Seal chutney in sterile containers until serving.
Apple and Tomato Chutney
This chutney is delicious! I halved the ingredients to make a smaller batch. I would also suggest taking the trouble to peel the tomatoes. - 17 Aug 2012
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!