- In a medium-large pot, saute the onion, garlic & chilli in the oil until soft and the onion lightly browned.
- Add the beef and brown with the cumin & cinnamon.
- Add the crushed tomatoes, capsicum, mushrooms, paprika, sugar and 1/2 cup of beef stock (or enough to cover beef) and simmer, covered for 1/2 hour before adding the red kidney beans and chocolate.
- Simmer for a further 1 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally until sauce is thickened. You can add extra beef stock if it looks like it is drying out.
- With 15 minutes to go, add the handful of chopped coriander.
- Meanwhile, make the salsa by mixing together the avocado, red onion, lime juice and the extra coriander.
- Serve wrapped in heated tortillas (heated to packet directions before serving) and top with sour cream & salsa.
I like my chili quite mild, but you could add more chili to taste or use mild chillies for children.
Also works in the slow cooker, just brown the meat first and reduce the liquid by half. Slow cook on high for 8 hours. You will find the sauce is much runnier using this method however.
Keep a jar of crushed chillis and garlic in the fridge.