- Dice the onion and fry in a large saucepan until lightly browned.
- Dice lamb into 2.5 cm cubes and add to onion, fry until lightly browned all over.
- Add nuts and continue to cook for a minute until nuts take on some colour.
- Add sultanas, cinnamon, nutmeg and tomato puree, season with salt and pepper.
- Pour over stock and simmer covered for about 40 minutes until lamb is tender.
- Add rice, bring back to a boil, lower the heat and cook, stirring occasionally for 15-20 mins until rice is cooked.
- Towards the end of cooking it may be necessary to add a little more water or stock to prevent drying out and sticking or burning.
- Turn off heat leave to stand covered for 5 minutes, dish up and enjoy!
During cooking the cinnamon gives the dish a slightly earthy smell, don't worry this doesn't transfer to the finished dish, also stick to the measurements, too much spice spoils the dish-trust me, I know!
Use for leftovers
I reckon you could use this recipe with leftover lamb roast.