Tomato Juice Sourdough Bread
Serves : 30
- 1 cup (250ml) warm water (45 degrees C)
- 7g dried active instant yeast
- 1 cup (250ml) warm tomato juice (45 degrees C)
- 380g sourdough starter
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 cups (880g) plain flour
Preparation:30min › Cook:1hour › Ready in:1hour30min
- Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside. In large bowl; mix starter and tomato juice. Add yeast mixture, salt and sugar then stir well.
- Add 1/3 of the flour at a time and beat well to develop the gluten. When a stiff dough forms, turn out onto a floured surface then knead until smooth and elastic, adding the last 1/3rd of flour as you go. Turn into oiled bowl, lightly oil top, cover with a tea towel then place in draught free area for 2 hours to double in bulk.
- Punch down and divide dough in two, form into rounds and place each on a baking tray that has been sprinkled generously with polenta. Let rise 1/2 hour, rub top lightly with flour and slash with sharp knife. Bake at 180 degrees C for 45 to 60 minutes or until bottoms are lightly browned when checked.
- For a soft crust, cool under a clean tea towel. For a harder crust, cool uncovered.
Used different ingredients. This bread is SUPER!!! I've made it several times, and it always comes out great. I add chopped sundried tomatoes, 3 or 4 minced cloves of garlic, and 1 1/2 tsp dried basil. YUM!! I have a friend who begs me for a loaf of this every week. Thanks for a GREAT recipe! - 14 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. We loved this bread! However, I would like to be able to make it with soya milk instead of juice, but my attempt to substitute didn't work. Any suggestions? - 14 Jul 2008
Used different ingredients. pretty good! It's a simple recipie that turns out nice, but I added a few extra bits to make it a little more interesting. I mixed in some oregano, chopped sundried tomatoes, and diced cheese bits before the flour. Plus, I used half wholemeal/half plain flour, to make it more wholesome. Delicious & very pretty colour! It was devoured & commended at the dinner party I attended! - 14 Jul 2008