1 person made this
This is my vegan version of moussaka. If you serve it without bread, it's gluten-free too. Even if you eat meat you will love it!
500g baby eggplants, sliced
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 onion, sliced
10 cloves garlic, peeled but whole
1 (400g) tin chickpeas, drained
1 (400g) tin chopped tomatoes
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 cup (125ml) water
parsley or coriander for garnish
- Heat 3 tablespoons of oil in a wide frypan and saute the eggplant until golden brown. You may need to do it in batches. Set the eggplant aside.
- Add the remaining oil to the pan and saute the onion and garlic cloves together until pale and soft while stirring, about five minutes.
- Add the chickpeas and stir occasionally for about five minutes. Return the eggplant to the pan and add the tomatoes.
- Sprinkle with salt, cinnamon, allspice and pepper and add the water. Bring to the boil, stirring, then lower the heat, cover and simmer gently for 45 minutes.
- Thickly garnish with chopped parsley or coriander and serve with lots of crusty bread.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate