- 2 egg whites
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 1/2 cups (250g) caster sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Preparation:5min › Cook:7min › Ready in:12min
- In a bowl over a saucepan of boiling water, combine all ingredients except the vanilla essence. Beat 1 minute. Cook, beating constantly for 7 minutes or until the icing makes firm peaks.
- Remove from the heat and add the vanilla essence. Beat until able to spread over cup cakes.
You can add colouring to the icing if desired, and can also use almond, rum or lemon essence instead of the vanilla for flavouring.
I followed the recipe exactly and it produced a light fluffy frosting for my butter cake. Will definitely make again. Thank you! - 22 May 2011
Used different ingredients. I use this recipe, but I add 4 marshmallows when I pull it off the heat, and beat until they melt and it's ready to spread. I've also used orange juice in place of water and orange extract in place of vanilla. It's great with my orange cream cake. It's a wonderful marshmallow frosting! - 21 Jul 2008
I made this recipe...it is DELICIOUS! problem was we only made 18 cupcakes *sigh* what to do with the left overs I thought (kids wouldn't eat because it was too rich LOL) well I piped small amounts on to baking paper on a tray andstuck them in the oven 200deg for 10 min.crispy outer shell chewy inside.omg they were so good nearly like ones from a bakery BUT today when I do it I (because I am so doing this again LOL!) I think a cooler oven for a longer time might work out much better!! thx for an awesome recipe! - 27 Jan 2011