Makes: 12 muffins
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp grated nutmeg (optional)
- 2 eggs
- 200ml vegetable/canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 3/4 cups sultanas (optional)
Preparation:20min › Cook:25min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Line a 12 x muffin tin with patty pan cases and grease well (I use those silicone reusable patty pan cases).
- Sift together dry ingredients in a medium bowl and stir to combine.
- Beat together eggs, oil and vanilla extract in a large bowl. Add the carrots and sultanas and stir to combine.
- Fold the dry ingredients into the large bowl bit by bit, but be careful not to over-mix. Your batter is going to look quite thick and stodgy, don't worry, it is supposed to look like this.
- Spoon the batter into the patty pan cases.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes (or until a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean).
- Cool in the muffin tin for 5 minutes then turn out into a wire rack to cool (make sure you take them out of the patty pan cases if you use the silicone ones, or they will go soft).
*you could use 1 cup wholemeal flour and 1 cup white flour. **you could add more nutmeg, depending on how spicy you want them to be.
These are wonderful served hot out of the oven with margarine/butter and a cup of tea.