Serves : 12
- 2 cups plain flour
- 180g butter, room temperature
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten - 1½ for the pastry, ½ to brush on top
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- For the filling
- 1 kg Granny Smith apples
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup sultanas
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
Preparation:25min › Cook:1hour5min › Ready in:1hour30min
- Grease and paper a 24 cm cake tin or springform tin.
- Mix the flour, butter, sugar, cinnamon and 1½ eggs together in a bowl. Knead it with your hands to a consistent, smooth dough.
- Roll out ¾ of the dough to cover the bottom and sides of the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- To make the filing; peel, core and slice the apples. Mix them with the sugar, sultanas and cinnamon. Put this mixture into the prepared cake tin
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut out long strips (1/2 cm wide). Cover the apples with the strips in a lattice patern and press into the sides. Brush with remaining (beaten) egg.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until pastry is light brown.
Very yummy. Used canned apple, added mixed spice to the pastry and apples. Also added lemon zest to apple and substituted the sultanas for currants . - 29 Apr 2013