1 / 1
5 people made this
More cake than apple pie, this apple tart is a perfect mix of sweet and tart with a great cinnamon flavour. Trditional Dutch apple tart...yum!
2 cups plain flour
180g butter, room temperature
1/3 cup sugar
2 eggs, lightly beaten - 1½ for the pastry, ½ to brush on top
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
For the filling
1 kg Granny Smith apples
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup sultanas
3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Grease and paper a 24 cm cake tin or springform tin.
- Mix the flour, butter, sugar, cinnamon and 1½ eggs together in a bowl. Knead it with your hands to a consistent, smooth dough.
- Roll out ¾ of the dough to cover the bottom and sides of the tin.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees C.
- To make the filing; peel, core and slice the apples. Mix them with the sugar, sultanas and cinnamon. Put this mixture into the prepared cake tin
- Roll out the remaining dough and cut out long strips (1/2 cm wide). Cover the apples with the strips in a lattice patern and press into the sides. Brush with remaining (beaten) egg.
- Bake for 60-65 minutes, or until pastry is light brown.
Used canned apple, added mixed spice to the pastry and apples. Also added lemon zest to apple and substituted the sultanas for currants .
- 29 Apr 2013
Write a review
Click on stars to rate