1 person made this
This is a great dish to bring as an appetiser to someone's party. Whoever tries this tasty savoury tart asks for it next time I'm cooking.
40 crushed salted cracker squares, like salaldas
2 1/2 cups sliced onions (frozen ones work great)
250 grams grated fontina cheese
1 cup milk at boiling point
3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup butter melted
2 Tablespoons butter for cooking the onions
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper or cayenne pepper
Extra time:5min resting ›
- Preheat oven to 180 Celsius
- Mix cracker crumbs and melted butter and press into a 20 cm tart pan. Go up the sides if there is enough. Bake this 5 minutes then cool in the refrigerator.
- Melt 2 Tablespoons butter in a fry pan and cook the onions until soft. Spread this on the tart base, still in the tart pan.
- Take the hot milk and slowly pour over the beaten eggs in a large bowl, stirring gently all the time with a wisk so the eggs don't cook.
- Add salt and pepper and cheese. Stir well.
- Pour this mixture over the onions and base in the tart pan.
- Bake at 180 C for about 40 minutes until the filling is soft set.
- Allow to cool 5 minutes or more before serving.
Do the cracker crushing in the food processor. Slice the onions in the food processor too - less tears.
If you can't find fontina you can use provolone or even cheddar.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate