1 / 1 Picture by: GourmetGirl
Serves : 12
- 250g fresh breadcrumbs
- 250g brown sugar
- 250g sultanas
- 250g raisins
- 90g glace cherries
- 150g mixed peel
- 1/2 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 250g plain flour
- 375g butter, softened
- 4 eggs
- 150ml milk
- 120ml brandy
Preparation:30min › Cook:7hours › Extra time:30days resting › Ready in:30days7hours30min
- In a large bowl mix together all the dry ingredients.
- Whisk the eggs until they are frothy then add the milk and brandy.
- Stir milk/brandy mixture with the butter and dry ingredients. Cover the bowl and let sit for 12 hours.
- Divide the mixture between two approximately 1 litre pudding bowls ensuring there is at least 3cm room to rise.
- Cover with a doubled sheet of baking paper then a layer of foil. Tie down securely.
- Turn a side plate upside down and place at the bottom of a large saucepan of boiling water. Place the pudding bowl on this. Water should come within 3cms of the top of the bowl.
- Simmer for 5 hours checking the water level frequently to top up when it evaporates.
- When boiled for 5 hours cover with a clean top and place in a cool spot to mature for at least a month.
- On Christmas Day boil them for at least 2 hours before serving with custard or a brandy sauce.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!