1 / 1 Picture by: Annie K
Sweet Potato Spice Cake
- 250g butter, softened
- 2 cups (400g) white sugar
- 2 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups (375g) plain flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup (125g) sifted icing sugar
- 5 teaspoons orange juice
- 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
Preparation:30min › Cook:1hour20min › Ready in:1hour50min
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Grease and flour a ring tin. Sift together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, bicarb soda, nutmeg and salt. Set aside.
- In large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add mashed sweet potatoes and vanilla. Beat until well blended. Add eggs, one at a time (the batter will look curdled). Add flour mixture to potato mixture. Beat on low until combined.
- Pour batter into tin. Bake for about 1 hour and 20 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into cake comes out clean. Cool cake for 20 minutes in the pan then invert onto serving plate.
- To make the glaze: in a small bowl, combine icing sugar with 3 to 5 teaspoons orange juice to achieve drizzling consistency. Spoon over warm cake and sprinkle with orange zest if desired.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!