1 / 1 Picture by: Chicago Lynn
Spicy Tomato Polenta
- 4 1/4 cups water
- 60g polenta
- 90g quinoa
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely diced
- 1 large portobello mushroom, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 800g canned diced tomatoes
- 4 tablespoons sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed chillies (optional)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 bunch spring onions, trimmed and diced
- 60g grated parmesan cheese
- shaved parmesan cheese to garnish
Preparation:20min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour10min
- In a small bowl, whisk together 1/2 the water with the polenta, quinoa and salt. Bring the remaining water to the boil in a heavy saucepan. Stir the polenta mixture into the boiling water and continue stirring. Be careful! The polenta may spit and sputter and can burn. Turn the heat to low and cook the polenta for 40 minutes; stirring with a wooden spoon every 10 minutes.
- Make the sauce while the polenta cooks: Heat olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat, add the onions and cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until they have softened. Stir in the mushroom and garlic and cook for 5 minutes. Then add the tomatoes, sherry, chillies and oregano. When the sauce comes to the boil, turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the polenta has cooked for 40 minutes, stir in the spring onions and grated cheese. Mound the polenta on plates, make a well in the centre of each mound and ladle in the sauce. Garnish with the shaved cheese.
Great vegetarian meal, easy to prepare. I used quinoa instead of polenta which worked really well- yum. - 04 Feb 2012
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!