Traditional Gingerbread Men
- 350g plain flour
- 1 teaspoon bicarb soda
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 100g butter
- 150g brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons golden syrup
- 1 egg
- currants, choc chips and/or nuts to decorate
Preparation:20min › Cook:15min › Ready in:35min
- Preheat oven to 190 degrees C. Sift together the flour, ginger and bicarb soda. Chop the butter and rub into the flour mixture until it resembles fine bread crumbs. Stir in the sugar.
- Beat together the syrup and the egg, and stir into flour mixture. Knead with floured hands to form a smooth dough.
- Roll out on a floured surface till it's about 0.5 cm thick. Using a gingerbread man cutter, cut shapes until all of the dough has been used, rerolling the trimmings. Lay these on lined baking trays.
- Decorate with currants, choc chips, nuts or however for the eyes and buttons.
- Bake at 190 degrees C for 15 mins, until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack.
mmmm, i love these gingerbreads!! they dont last long around here! - 20 Aug 2010
MY KIDS LOVED THEM!!!!!! EASY TO MAKE SINCE IT WAS MY FIRST TIME. THANKS - 09 Nov 2011
I'm writing from Chile, I started making your recipe cause I founded it fascinating, I got all the ingredients exactly how you put them up, the problem no is that I have my "dough" it doesn't get together it keeps breaking up and I can not roll it out or do anything with it, I tried putting more flour in it, and it didn't work, now I have it in the fridge (my aunt told me to). I need help please, what can I do ?? By the way the texture it has is amazing, and the flavour even better, therefore I dont want to chuck it away. - 19 Dec 2012