1 / 1 Picture by: hazelnut
- 2 cups (500ml) bourbon whiskey
- 250g sultanas
- 500g glace cherries, halved
- 375g butter
- 2 cups (440g) white sugar
- 6 egg yolks
- 6 egg whites
- 2 cups (375g) packed brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 cups (675g) flour
- 500g chopped pecans
- 1 cup (250ml) bourbon
Preparation:25min › Cook:5hours › Extra time:14days soaking › Ready in:14days5hours25min
- Preheat oven to 135 degrees C. Grease a 25cm ring tin and line bottom with baking paper.
- Soak raisins and cherries in 2 cups of bourbon for 48 hours. Before making cake drain well and reserve the bourbon.
- In a separate bowl mix flour, nutmeg and baking powder. Set aside.
- In a small bowl cream butter with the white sugar. In a separate small bowl, cream yolks and brown sugar until very light.
- In a very large bowl combine the two sugar mixtures and blend well.
- Alternately add flour mixture and reserved bourbon in three stages, mixing well with each addition.
- Add soaked fruit and fold in. Add nuts and fold in.
- In a clean medium bowl whip egg whites until stiff but not dry. Fold into batter until evenly distributed.
- Pour into prepared ring tin. Place a pan of water in the bottom of the oven and bake for 4 to 5 hours. Ovens vary, so watch the baking time. Test cake with a toothpick (may take longer than 5 hours).
- Remove from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes before turning out. When almost cool brush sides and inside hole heavily with bourbon. Wrap cake with bourbon-soaked cheesecloth then with plastic wrap. Refrigerate overnight and saturate again with bourbon. Cover with plastic wrap and then with foil and store for at least 2 weeks in a cool dry place.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!