1 / 1 Picture by: mominmi
Homemade Meatballs in Tomato Sauce
- 500g lean beef mince
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- a good pinch teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 large tins (each 800g) whole peeled tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preparation:20min › Cook:2hours › Ready in:2hours20min
- In a large bowl, combine beef mince, breadcrumbs, parsley, Parmesan, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic powder and beaten egg. Mix well and form into 12 balls. Store, covered, in refrigerator until needed.
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, saute onion and garlic in olive oil until onion is translucent. Stir in tomatoes, salt, sugar and bay leaf. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 90 minutes.
- Stir in tomato paste, basil, 1/2 teaspoon pepper and meatballs and simmer 30 minutes more. Serve.
love this dish it's a favourite, great for leftovers the next day.. I make my meatballs a little smaller, love them - 20 Jun 2011
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!