Peach and Apple Chutney
Serves : 64
- 15 tomatoes, peeled and diced
- 5 peaches, peeled, stones removed and diced
- 5 red apples, peeled, cored and diced
- 4 medium onions, diced
- 4 stalks celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) distilled cider vinegar
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 60g pickling spice, wrapped in cheesecloth or muslin
Preparation:35min › Cook:2hours › Ready in:2hours35min
- Combine the tomatoes, peaches, apples, onions, celery, vinegar, salt and pickling spice in a large stockpot. Bring to the boil then reduce heat to low and simmer for about 2 hours, or until thickened.
- Transfer to sterile jars, seal and store in the refrigerator or freeze in plastic containers.
It has a wonderful taste and smell that lasted till the last spoonful. I made mine for the B-day party and leftovers kept in the frige for a week (till we ate them all). The only thing that i wish for is better colour/appearance, but then again maybe i cooked it too much. Will make it again for sure. Thank you for sharing this nice recipe. - 29 Sep 2008
Great chutney recipe. Not as heavy and acidic as some chutneys can be. I have used this chutney with cold meats and also tried it with cheese in a sandwich as an experiment (worked really well!). I would reccomend however, letting this chutney sit in fridge for a while - i left mine for 3 months. All good chutneys need to mature. I found it too sour and vinegary when freshly made. - 29 Sep 2008