1 / 1 Picture by: terralinnda
Raspberry Chocolate Cake
- 375g dark chocolate
- 7 eggs, separated
- 1 cup (125g) plain flour
- 250g butter
- 2 cups (440g) white sugar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla essence
- 185g dark chocolate, extra
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 125g frozen raspberries, thawed
- 3 tablespoons seedless raspberry jam
Preparation:1hour › Cook:45min › Extra time:1hour cooling › Ready in:2hours45min
- Preheat oven to 150 degrees C. Line bottoms of two 23cm cake tins with greaseproof paper.
- To Make Cake: Melt 375g dark chocolate in the top of a double boiler or in a microwave. Cool and beat in egg yolks.
- In a large bowl, beat butter or margarine, 1 1/2 cups sugar and vanilla until light and fluffy. Add chocolate mixture and continue beating until smooth. Stir in flour until just combined.
- In another bowl, beat egg whites until foamy. Gradually beat in 1/2 cup sugar and continue beating until the whites hold soft peaks. Fold whites into chocolate batter, in three additions. Pour batter into prepared pans and smooth tops.
- Bake until a toothpick stuck into the centers of the cakes comes out with moist crumbs, about 45 minutes. Cool in pans.
- To Make icing: In a saucepan, bring cream just to a boil. Chop 185g extra dark chocolate and stir into the cream. Remove saucepan from heat and continue stirring until smooth. Pour icing into bowl and press a sheet of cling wrap directly against surface of chocolate to prevent formation of a skin. Refrigerate until thick enough to spread.
- To Make Filling: Drain the thawed raspberries, if necessary, and combine with the jam. Sandwich the cake layers with raspberry filling. Spread top and sides with chocolate icing.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!