Capsicum Beans and Rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green capsicum, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 400g can kidney beans, drained with liquid reserved
- 1 cup (220g) shortgrain rice
Preparation:10min › Cook:50min › Ready in:1hour
- Heat oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Fry onion, green capsicum and garlic. When onion is transparent. add salt and tomato paste. Reduce heat and simmer for 2 minutes. Stir in the beans and rice.
- Pour the bean liquid into a large measuring cup and add enough water to reach 500ml (2 cups). Pour into saucepan. Cover and simmer for 45 minutes, or until liquid is absorbed and rice is cooked.
Something else. Very, very good recipe. I made a few changes, however, to add flavour after reading some of the other reviews. 1: add 1 tsp. cumin powder to onions/garlic while cooking, 2: add diced mild chillies when you add the beans, 3: use stock (any kind) instead of water. Hope this helps! Thanks for a yummy recipe! - 29 Sep 2008
Excellent dish. I added a few chili flakes to give it a little kick but not too many (I didn't want it 'hot'). Also added a bay leaf and used stock as suggested by another user. It was ready in 30mins, and was delish! And it will be even better tomorrow, I'm sure. - 24 Mar 2010
Best lunch I've made/had in a long time. I was looking for a dish to prepare with the can of red kidney beans that has been sitting on the shelf for the longest time and I am glad this was it. Instead of using short grain rice, I used medium grain brown rice and it took twice as long to cook but it was totally worth the wait! Thanks! Will definitely make this wholesome dish again. - 04 Jul 2011