- 1 cup rinsed quinoa
- 2 cups (500ml) chicken stock
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 garlic tops or spring onions, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves - cut into strips
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 125g crumbled feta cheese
- 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
Preparation:30min › Cook:25min › Ready in:55min
- Bring the quinoa and chicken stock to a boil in a saucepan; reduce heat to a simmer and cover the pan. Simmer until the broth is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy, about 12 minutes.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frypan; cook and stir the garlic tops or spring onions and onion until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the chicken breast strips and cook until the chicken is still slightly pink in the middle, about 5 more minutes. Remove the chicken meat and set aside.
- Pour 2 more tablespoons of olive oil in the frypan and cook and stir the zucchini and tomato until the zucchini is tender, 5 to 8 minutes. Return chicken to frypan and sprinkle with feta cheese, basil leaves and lime juice. Cook until the chicken is fully cooked and hot, about 10 more minutes. Serve over hot quinoa.
This recipe was awesome as it was full of flavour with the chicken stock soaked up in the quinoa and the chicken to satisfy the carnivores, so the chicken could be left out. The feta gave it a nice tart finish. Overall I thought this was an excellent dish for the weekdays and will continue to make this. - 17 Jul 2011
This was my first attempt at cooking, and even eating quinoa, and I have to say, I was pleasantly surprised! I could only find red quinoa, but it was still great. I love that this recipe is so nutritional and full of flavour - a big thumbs up! - 24 Jul 2012
A big hit at our house! Used pearl cous cous as didn't have quinoa and mixed all through rather than serving on top. Great recipe, will definitely use again for weekday dinners. - 01 Jan 2013