1 / 1 Picture by: CaRoLiNaRiOs
- 250g butter
- 1 1/2 cups (330g) white sugar
- 4 eggs, separated
- 3 cups (375g) self-raising flour
- 1 cup (250ml) milk
- 1 teaspoon almond essence
- Brandy Syrup
- 2 cups (500ml) water
- 1 cup (220g) white sugar
- 1/2 cup (125ml) brandy
- 1 teaspoon vanilla essence
Preparation:35min › Cook:1hour30min › Ready in:2hours5min
- Cake: Preheat an oven to 150 degrees C. Grease and flour 20cm round cake tin.
- Beat the butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a large bowl until light and fluffy. The mixture should be noticeably lighter in colour.
- Add the room-temperature egg yolks one at a time allowing each egg yolk to blend into the butter mixture before adding the next.
- Pour in the flour alternately with the milk mixing until just incorporated. Stir in the almond essence.
- Whisk egg whites until stiff peaks form in a large glass or metal mixing bowl. Lift your whisk straight up; the egg whites should form a sharp peak that holds its shape.
- Fold the egg whites into the batter mixing just enough to evenly combine. Pour the batter into prepared cake tin.
- Bake in the preheated oven until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out clean; about 90 minutes.
- Cool in the tin for 10 minutes before removing to cool completely on a wire rack. Cut any excess cake so that it is flush with the sides of the tin.
- Brandy Syrup: Bring the water and sugar to a boil for 8 to 10 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer then add brandy and vanilla essence.
- Simmer for 2 to 3 minutes and remove from heat. Allow syrup to cool to room temperature. Prick holes in the cooled cake with a toothpick then slowly saturate the cake with the brandy syrup.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!