1 / 1 Picture by: WISEREADER
Venison Steak in Chestnut Sauce
- 185g chestnuts
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup chopped onions
- 1/2 cup chopped carrots
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 1/2 cups (375ml) beef broth
- 1/2 bay leaf, crumbled
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons Madeira wine
- 2 venison steaks (about 3cm thick)
Preparation:20min › Cook:25min › Extra time:30min cooling › Ready in:1hour15min
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Cut a cross in the skin of the chestnuts, place in a baking pan and bake for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and cool. Peel off the shell and chop. You should have about 1 cup chopped chestnuts.
- Melt butter in a large frypan over medium heat. Cook the onions and carrots in the butter until soft, stirring often. Stir in the flour and cook until the flour browns. Mix in the broth and season with bay leaf and salt and pepper. Simmer for 15 minutes.
- Preheat grill and position rack 12cm below the heat source. Place the venison steaks in a grill pan. Cook 5 minutes on each side. Transfer to a plate kept warm in the oven.
- Strain the solids from the broth and return the broth to the pan. Stir in Madeira and chestnuts. Pour hot chestnut sauce over venison steaks and serve.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!