Roasted Eggplant Sandwich
- 1 eggplant, sliced into strips
- 2 red capsicums, cut in half
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 portobello mushrooms,sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 loaf focaccia bread
Preparation:20min › Cook:40min › Extra time:2hours resting › Ready in:3hours
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C.
- Brush eggplant and red capsicum with 1 tablespoon olive oil; use more if necessary, depending on size of vegetables. Place on a baking tray and roast in preheated oven until eggplant is tender, about 25 minutes and capsicum becomes blackened. Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil and fry mushrooms until tender.
- Stir crushed garlic into mayonnaise.
- Slice focaccia in half lengthways. Spread mayonnaise mixture on one or both halves.
- Peel away capsicum skins and slice. Arrange eggplant, capsicum and mushrooms on focaccia. Close and wrap sandwich in aluminium foil.
- Place a cutting board on top of the focaccia and weigh down with something heavy eg: tinned food, a book or two. Set aside for 2 hours before slicing and serving.
If you have a panini press at home, why not try toasting these sandwiches? You could substitute cheese for the mayonnaise, as well.
Something else. This was SO GOOD!!! I added fresh herbs (garlic, parsley, sage, oregano, basil and rosemary) to the bread dough. For the veggies I used a sliced Portobello mushroom, fresh green capsicum, onions and some frozen red and yellow capsicum slices. The eggplant and mushroom were oven roasted, as described in the recipe. The sliced onion and pepper were quickly stir fried in a non-stick pan, also lightly coated with olive oil. I used light mayo, to round out this healthy and delicious sandwich. (I was skeptical about whether I'd like grilled eggplant, but found it was fabulous). Give this sandwich a try, and it will make a believer of you, too! - 29 Sep 2008
Made it vegetarian. This is an amazing sandwich. I made it for a picnic, hoping to find something that my vegetarian boyfriend and I could enjoy together since I am not a vegetarian. It was perfect. I sliced the capsicums and put them in with the eggplant instead of roasting them separately. It speeded up the process. I am normally not a big fan of eggplant either, but this recipe is wonderful. - 29 Sep 2008
Another great recipe! Everyone is asking for the recipe. I did make one sandwich with olive oil instead of the mayo and garlic spread and it was wonderful as well. Some hints: You can buy roasted red capsicums in the jar in the shops which saves a lot of time. Also, slice the eggplant fairly thick. I sliced it too thin to start and it stuck to the tray when I roasted it. I will make this over and over and over! - 29 Sep 2008