Ancient Roman Cheesecake
1 / 1
21 people made this
This is an authentic version of an ancient Roman cheesecake known as a 'Savillum'. It is extremely different to the modern versions so be prepared.
15 bay leaves
250g ricotta cheese
1/2 cup (125ml) honey
1 teaspoon grated orange zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1/2 cup (60g) plain flour
- Preheat an oven to 220 degrees C. Pour some water into a small oven proof bowl and place into the oven. Arrange the bay leaves over the bottom of a springform pan to cover.
- Beat the eggs in a mixing bowl then mix in ricotta cheese, honey, orange zest and lemon juice.
- Sprinkle in the flour and stir until evenly combined. Gently pour the batter over the bay leaves, being careful not to disturb them too much.
- Bake in the preheated oven until browned; about 35 to 40 minutes.
- Run the tip of a knife around the edges of the pan and release from the springform pan. Invert onto a serving plate and serve warm or chilled.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate