Homemade Gooseberry Jam
- 1 1/2 kg fresh gooseberries
- 1 1/2 kg caster sugar
- 100ml liquid pectin
Preparation:20min › Cook:25min › Ready in:45min
- Remove blossom and stem ends from gooseberries. Force berries through food mill.
- Measure 4 tea cups of the berry mash into a large pot. Stir in the sugar. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, and boil hard for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat, and stir in pectin at once. Skim off any foam with a large metal spoon.
- Sterilise jars and lids in boiling water for at least 10 minutes. Take turns with skimming foam, and stirring the berry mixture for 5 minutes to let it cool slightly. Ladle into hot sterile jars, leaving 6mm headspace.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes. Remove and seal jars.
Delicious! I'd never tasted a gooseberry before, and wasn't sure what to expect. My jam turned out great, perfect sweet/tart combo, and such a beautiful colour. My family loves it too! - 29 Sep 2008