1 / 1 Picture by: andrea92fl
Devils on Horseback with Smoked Amonds
- 20 wooden toothpicks
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar
- 20 dates, pitted and left whole
- 20 whole smoked almonds
- 10 bacon rashers, cut in half crosswise
Preparation:30min › Cook:15min › Ready in:45min
- Preheat oven to 200 degrees C. Soak the toothpicks in a bowl of water. Grease a baking dish.
- In a bowl, mix together the soy sauce and ground ginger. Place the brown sugar into a shallow bowl. Spread open a pitted date, then stuff it with a smoked almond. Wrap the date with half a bacon slice, secure it with a toothpick, dip the bundle in soy sauce mixture, and then dip it into brown sugar. Place the wrapped dates into the prepared baking dish. If desired, sprinkle a little more brown sugar over the bundles.
- Bake in the preheated oven until the bacon is brown and crisp, 15 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool for about 15 minutes before serving; serve warm or at room temperature.
Try these tweaks
Double or triple the recipe for a large crowd! You can also use prunes or dried apricots instead of dates, or mango chutney instead of the almonds. Serve on top of watercress.
Write a review
Click on stars to rate
Tell others what you thought of this recipe!