Spicy Wine Cookies
1 / 1
6 people made this
These are South African biscuits of Dutch origin known as soetkoekies. They are flavoured with cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, port and almonds. Perfect for Christmas.
Makes: 60 biscuits approximately
2 1/4 cups (280g) plain flour
1/2 teaspoon bicarb soda
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
1 1/3 cups (220g) dark brown soft sugar
1 cup (125g) blanched almonds, chopped
115g cold butter, cut into cubes
2 eggs, beaten
4 tablespoons port wine
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C.
- Mix flour, bicarb soda, cream of tartar, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg, cloves, dark brown soft sugar and almonds in a large bowl.
- Add the butter, eggs and wine. Work everything into a smooth mixture.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Use a teaspoon or a piping bag to make 3cm blobs on the baking tray.
- Bake for 11-13 minutes or until the biscuits are golden brown. Cool on wire racks. Store in tins.
yummy az cookie
- 22 Mar 2012
Write a review
Click on stars to rate